Hospital o serveis complementaris relacionats
When is a cornea transplant required?
The main symptoms that are detected when a cornea is damaged are:
- Loss of vision
- Pain in the eye
- Severe corneal decomposition
Clinical diagnosis is essential, but there are also different tests to see if a corneal transplant should be carried out, and in particular, what kind is required. The tests are:
- Endothelial count using specular microscopy
- Tomography of optical coherence in the anterior segment
How is a cornea transplant done?
The type of transplant varies depending on the affected part of the cornea.
- Endothelial transplantation: this is performed when only the endothelium (the innermost layer of the cornea) has been damaged.
- Deep anterior lamellar transplant: done in cases where the anterior corneal stroma is affected
- Penetrating keratoplasty: done when the injury affects the entire cornea