Health tips to avoid being infected by Zika virus
What do you need to bear in mind to prevent Zika virus?
The advice to prevent infection with Zika virus is particularly aimed at pregnant women or those thinking of becoming pregnant in the short to medium term. The possibility of transmitting the infection to the foetus means that pregnant women are the most vulnerable group. For this reason, you are advised to:
- Avoid travelling to countries where there is a risk of being infected while you are pregnant.
- Inform a healthcare professional if you have already travelled to any the affected areas.
- Use a condom for the entire pregnancy if your sexual partner has travelled to countries affected by Zika virus.
Mosquito bite prevention
- Dress in clothes that cover most of your body and wear a hat all day to protect your skin as much as possible from exposure to mosquitoes.
- Use authorised repellents, following the manufacturer’s instructions for their use and reapplication indicated on the product.
- Avoid being outside unnecessarily during the most active times of day for mosquitoes (first thing in the morning and late afternoon).
- Sleep in air conditioned accommodation, as mosquitoes tend to avoid the cold, or place mosquito nets around the bed, doors and windows.
Mosquito proliferation prevention
Another way of preventing mosquito bites is to avoid proliferation of mosquitoes, which you can do by finding out and periodically checking the areas where these insects reproduce. Once breeding points are located, the measures should focus, as appropriate, on:
- Avoiding and/or draining any accumulation of water there may be in the subsoil of accommodation.
- Emptying or covering objects that may accumulate water.
- Emptying or refreshing water weekly in the case of fixed objects or containers that may accumulate water and covering, with a lid or mosquito screen, those that cannot be emptied.
- Keeping swimming pools, ponds and other bodies of water in correct hygiene conditions.
From 10:00 to 17:30 h.
From 9.00 am to 2.30 pm....